Alexandra Theatre, Birmingham
The Alexandra Theatre is located on the Suffolk Queensway in Birmingham, England. It is commonly known as The Alex. It has a seating capacity of 1347 and is owned by the Ambassador Theatre Group.
Construction of The Alexandra (then known as The Lyceum) began in 1900 and was completed in 1901. Initially poor box office returns led to the theatre being sold within 18 months for £4000 and was renamed The Alexandra on 22 December 1902.
The theatre was rebuilt with a fine art deco building in 1935 with a design by Roland Satchwell. Although the main entrance was originally on John Bright Street, a new main entrance block was built on Suffolk Street between 1967-69 with a bridge linking the two buildings from the inside.
The Alex hosts touring productions, West End productions and stand-up comedy. It was the home of the D’Orly Carte Opera Company between 1990 and 1997.
THE ALEX THEATRE SEATING PLAN